Tuesday, May 22, 2012

January 3

Yesterday was an incredible day. We drove out of Auckland and headed toward Waitomo where the glow worm caves are. It took us a couple of hours to get there. Once we got there we got some lunch and then headed to the Legendary Black Water Rafting Company who would be our guides for the five hour tour.

They outfitted us for wet suits, booties and boots. We were driven to the site in a large van, the eight of us and our two guides. First we learned how to use the ropes and the equipment that would help us make our way down in the cave. We spent about 45 minutes on land learning how to use the ropes and what it would be like as we descended. Then it was time to go.

Toshi and I went last in our group of eight. The scariest part for me was where you had to step off the platform and trust that the rope would hold you. Then it was time to abesail down. It took me quite a while because I was nervous about it and I actually had to help the rope lower me down. My back started to hurt about halfway down but I made it, no panic attack or anything about the heights!

Once we all got down we had a little bit of walking to do and then the zip line, in the pitch black! Terrifying but so much fun! After the zip line we sat down and got hot chocolate from our guides. The hot chocolate was very welcome since it was cold down in the caves even with all our gear. Then it was time for the tubes. We were each given a tube and told to jump in the water. The water was really cold and was shocking as we jumped into it. We then grabbed a rope that was attached to the rocks and started going down the river. Other than the cold it was really fun. My jacket was too big in the arms and so my arms were really cold, although the rest of me was sort of cold too. We floated down the river and over a small waterfall. Then at one point we stopped and our guide, Zane told us about the glow worms – glow maggots actually. We got back in our tubes and linked together via arms and legs and he pulled us down the river while singing the cave version of My Heart Will Go On. I thought it was very entertaining. We made our way back around to where we had started and dropped off our tubes. We then floated down river without the tubes, which was fun. The water was really high in the caves because of all the rain they had over the last couple of days. It was the first time it was the first time they were open in multiple days because there had been so much rain. We were lucky since that was our only opportunity to do it. After floating down the river for a while we stopped and had hot juice. Very welcome since we were so cold! After some more floating it was time to walk through some rather strong rapids. We all managed just fine but it was tough at some points. We then got to the end and the waterfalls. We were going to have to climb up through the waterfalls. To get there we had to go through a very small space where only our heads were up above the water. We waited and went one at a time. The waiting was difficult because we were sitting at the bottom of the waterfall and it was so loud! Then one at a time we went up. I was honestly afraid that I wasn’t going to be able to do it and was going to have to go the easy way out but once I got there I decided I was going to do it. Battling a raging waterfall and pushing yourself through it is not an easy task. Then even at the top of the waterfall there was walking through the rapids. I made it through the first one and then sat and waited with the rest of the group to get ready to go through the second one. The second one worked the same way, one at a time and very slowly. One of our guides, Ann, was on each of the two waterfalls to tell us where to step and where to grab. Having her guidance was incredible because she knows these waterfalls so well. Nice to know that when she tells you to step in the waterfall you actually should step in the waterfall. The second one was stronger but not as difficult in terms of climbing. I think that the rapids at the top of the second one were stronger but that could be because by this time my boots were torn and I was losing my left one so pushing through was more difficult. Everyone kept telling me that I made the best sound effects – I figure whatever I have to do to get myself through. I making groaning sounds helps me push through then that’s what I should do. I did, and it worked.

I got to the top of the second one and pushed through the rapids and met up with Zane who was our other guide. He took photos and then I climbed through the last smaller waterfall and out to daylight.

I was worried there were going to be things that I couldn’t do or times when I might have a panic attack but I did everything even though I was scared. Jumping into the river was tough but they don’t really give you a choice and when they tell you to jump you just jump!

If we were to ever come back when we have kids and they are older I think I would want to do this again. What an amazing day.

Today we are going to walk around the village and have lunch there. Then we are going to the thermal village for mud bath and hot springs. Should be nice and relaxing which is good since I’m sore from yesterday!

No comments: